|BLANEY HOPES FOR TOUGH TEST|
|FLAME-HAIRED super-middleweight prospect Chris Blaney is hoping for a tough examination as he steps up to six rounds on Frank Warren’s BT Sport televised ‘City of Champions’ bill this weekend.
The Ricky Hatton-trained Irishman squares off with Plymouth’s Christian Hoskin Gomez in Leicester on Saturday night (April 22).
Hoskin Gomez may be a journeyman but he’s certainly a come forward fighter who has upset the odds in the past.
“He’s a bit like Mark Till, who I beat last year,” Blaney said. “He’ll come to fight and at least he’s not someone there to take a beating.
“I’m moving up to six rounds on this show and that should suit me better. Four rounds is a bit cagey and anything can happen, especially if you get hit with a lucky shot.
“I’m hoping to impress and hopefully I can get on a few more Frank Warren shows in the future.”
Blaney has had three of his five professional outings back home in Ireland and he’s keen to return to the Emerald Isle with a title around his waist later this year.
“I’ve got my eye on the Celtic title,” Blaney, 25, revealed. “I believe it’s over eight rounds and I think it’s something I’ll be ready for in a couple of fights.
“After that? Who knows. I’m keeping my feet on the ground, but I won a lot of titles in the amateurs and, like every boxer, I want as many as I can get as a pro.”
NEW YORK, NY (April 18, 2017) – FITE TV will stream the April 28th heavyweight clash between a pair of past world title contenders, Kubrat “The Cobra” Pulev and Kevin “Kingpin” Johnson, live on pay per view, starting at 2 p.m. ET /11 a.m. PT, from Arena Armeec in Sofia, Bulgaria. Encore presentations will also be available to watch.
FITE TV is a Combat Sports Network that features boxing, MMA and wrestling programming. FITE gives viewers the choice to watch the program on line at www.FITE.tv, on their mobile device or on their WiFi connected television using the FITE app. The FITE app can be downloaded for free at Google Play or the iTunes app stores.
Boxing fans may watch the entire card, headlined by the Pulev-Johnson 12-round World Boxing Association (WBA) heavyweight title fight, simply by downloading the FITE app and then cast the fight to the big screen by using the instant stream-to-TV function. The FITE app works with any Wi-Fi connected television around the world, iOS and Android devices, as well as streaming devices such as Roku, Chromecast and more. Fans may also watch the fights live on the FITE website at www.fite.tv from any computer.
“Pulev versus Johnson is another fine boxing event that FITE is now making available to our North American fan base,” FITE COO Michael Weber said. “FITE continues to grow by leaps and bounds and we are very proud of the growth of world class boxing events to complement our current line-up of MMA and wrestling events.”
The 6′ 4 ½ Pulev, fighting at home in Sofia, Bulgaria, captured the vacant WBA Inter-Continental heavyweight title in his last fight this past December, in which former world champion Samuel Peters (36-5) retired after the third round.
Last May, Pulev won a 12-round split decision over Dereck Chisora (25-5) to capture the European heavyweight championship. The 35-year-old Pulev has won four in a row since he suffered the only loss of his professional career, by way of a fifth-round knockout in 2014, to then-International Boxing Federation (IBF) heavyweight world champion Wladimir Klitschko (62-3).
Pulev was a celebrated amateur boxer who represented Bulgaria at the 2008 Olympics in Beijing, China. Currently rated No. 9 in the world by the WBA, Pulev can position himself for another world title shot with an impressive victory over Johnson, the battle-tested veteran fighting out of Lawrenceville, Georgia, USA.
“My number one goal is to fight for the World title and on April 28,” Pulev commented, “I will take another step towards achieving this goal. I’m already training hard to prove I am worthy to fight again for the heavyweight crown.
“Johnson is a tough opponent. You must only look at his resume to tell this will be a real challenge. He has shared the ring with many World class fighters like Vitali Klitschko and Anthony Joshua. I know I will need to be at my best to beat him, but with the help of my coach Ulli Wegner and the support of the Bulgarian people, I’m confident my hand will be raised, and we will be able to celebrate another great night for Bulgarian boxing and another step towards me fulfilling my dream of becoming the Heavyweight Champion of the World.’
Johnson, 37, has served as a dangerous “gatekeeper” in the heavyweight division during his 14-year professional career. He’s fought reigning World Boxing Council (WBC) heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua – the only fighter to stop Johnson – former unified world heavyweight titlist Tyson Fury, former world title challenger Manuel Charr and current European champion Christian Hammer.
Johnson’s most notable wins have been against world title challengers Bruce Seldon (TKO5), Alex Leapai (TKO9) and Albert Sosnowski (SDEC3 in Prizefighter Tournament).
In 2009, Johnson lost his lone world title fight by unanimous decision to undefeated WBC champion Vitali Klitschko, extending him the full 12-rounds.
On Easter Sunday, the city of Newburgh, recreation department, along with Leonard Lee and his team “Newburgh Hook Elite”. With the participation of gyms, from far away as Pennsylvania took on visiting Irish fighters, out of the “Ernie Boxing Gym”. It was an event, to help raise awareness for an ongoing “Gloves up Guns Down” campaign and its efforts towards ending senseless street violence among our youth.
The event itself, consisted of eleven bouts and while the city recreation center, might not have been filled to capacity, it didn’t deter the fighters from performing at their best. Each fighter who stepped into the ring, gave a championship effort. Those who won, accepted their belts with pride and those who didn’t accepted the judges decisions with dignity. While the overall goal, to have a successful event was accomplished, the time Newburgh Hook Elite and Ernie Boxing Gym, spent together prior, is where the real success happened.
The teams would workout together, go to restaurants and even fishing. That time, allowed the fighters to forge respect for one another, as was evident during the event. When the fighters were introduced and winner announced, regardless of who or what gym they fought out of. The kids applauded with equal enthusiasm, something many adult’s in the crowd failed to do.
The event provided these kids with an education, not the kind read in books, but life experience. With the increased negativity, spread across the news, especially social media, the education helped some of these kids understand, no matter where you come from, we are all not that much different. A lesson learned like that, can carry over into adulthood. On the way there, help these kids make informed decisions, when it comes to how they conduct themselves and attitude towards others.
In an era where our youth, are lacking an abundance of adult role models, we see an increased lack of self respect and ability to respect others. If the adults of our society, continue to fail our youth, events like these are becoming pivotal for our communities. We tend to sell our youth short, by providing them an outlet to succeed, more often than not, they will rise to the occasion, not only for themselves but others.
A history of champions and legends, have been created on such opportunities. In creating these opportunities, we lay a foundation for success. We provide continuous goals, once set, they will take it upon themselves, to strive towards succeeding. The efforts of Leonard Lee, Hook Elite boxing, Ernie boxing and other gyms that participated Sunday, helped lay at least some of that foundation. Hopefully more people in our communities, take notice and follow suit in one form or another.
It’s too soon for us to know, exactly how long the young men and ladies from Sunday, will carry their new found lessons with them. At minimum, they walked away feeling a little bit better about themselves, even if for a short time.The memory of stepping up, performing like a champion and what it felt like will last forever.
TONY BELLEW NAMED- WHAT? WHY? HOW?
By: Daxx Khan – BillyCBoxing.com
Tony Bellew is a HUGE STAR in the world of boxing, the masses demand to see him in action. He is ready to face anyone and will conquer everyone that signs the contract. In short BOXING HAS BEEN PUT ON NOTICE!!
OK Maybe not but, after his win over David Haye March 4th at least Bellew seems to think so, he has even called out WBC heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder. His recent surge of success and unknown popularity, has prompted Bellew to vacate his cruiserweight world title, while pondering his next career step. (I say unknown because until today, I was not aware Bellew has so many opportunities he can vacate a world title)
The WBC is either putting a lot of faith into Bellew OR letting him commit career suicide on his own, they released the following statement on Bellew and the WBC cruiserweight title today March 28th, 2017.
Official WBC Statement pertaining to Tony Bellew and the WBC Cruiserweight title.
Tony Bellew conquered the WBC vacant cruiserweight championship on May 29, 2016 by knocking out number 1 contender Ilunga Makabu in three rounds in Liverpool, United Kingdom.
Mandatory contender Mairis Briedis reached a step aside agreement with Bellew to allow him a voluntary defense vs. B. J. Flores on October 15, 2016.
During the 54th WBC Annual Convention in Hollywood, Florida, Tony Bellew requested special permission on the rule 3.87 to participate in a WBC Special Event in the heavyweight division, which the WBC unanimously voted in favor and ordered an interim championship fight between Mairis Briedis and Marco Huck, as well as a final elimination bout between Kudryashov and Durodola.
Our proud champion knocked out highly regarded heavyweight David Haye on March 4, 2017. Tony Bellew has become a major attraction in the heavyweight division and is at this moment uncertain of his next steps following his life changing victory.
Tony Bellew has expressed his absolute honor and pride to be the WBC cruiserweight champion of the world and has represented the WBC in the best way possible during his reigning as a champion.
This scenario might keep him from defending his cruiserweight title in some time, reason for which the WBC Board of Governors unanimously voted to designate Anthony Bellew as Emeritus Champion of the World, which grants him the right to fight for the cruiserweight championship at any given time with full support from the WBC while maintaining his rights as world champion.
The Emeritus Champion designation is a privilege, which has been successfully used by some of the great champions of the history of our organization including Vitali Klitschko, Floyd Mayweather, Bernard Hopkins, Erik Morales and other greats.
The WBC hereby confirms that the fight between Mairis Briedis and Marco Huck that will take place this coming April 1st in Germany, will be for the WBC cruiserweight championship of the world and the winner will abide by the ruling of the WBC Board regarding the mandatory defenses.
ONE QUESTION- While Tony has always been a guy who gives it his all, been cheated on a few close decisions and leaves it all behind in bouts. At what point in time has he done anything to justify the same courtesy as Vitali Klitschko, Floyd Mayweather, Bernard Hopkins or Erik Morales? None were given this luxury until they accomplished near “Hall of Fame Status”.
I guess there is only one answer. As we say on Social Media #Boxing.