ZURICH (September 29, 2017) – Fans across the United States will have the opportunity to watch World Boxing Super Series action throughout the remainder of the quarter-finals as AT&T will broadcast this round of the tournament on AUDIENCE Network and other AT&T platforms, beginning with Saturday’s Mairis Briedis vs. Mike Perez WBC World Championship showdown from a sold out Riga Arena in Riga, Latvia.
“Given the level of the fights and the productions and events so far we are delighted to bring the Ali Trophy to the US fans on one of the largest possible platforms. We expect the action to get even hotter beginning with this weekend,” said Kalle Sauerland, Chief Boxing Officer for Comosa, AG.
“We’re thrilled to be able to bring World Boxing Super Series quarter-final action to sports fans in the U.S.,” said Richard Schaefer, Chairman and CEO of Ringstar Sports. “AUDIENCE Network, AUDIENCE Network On Demand and DIRECTV NOW are great platforms for this exciting round of cruiserweight and super middleweight matchups as the fighters begin their quest for the Muhammad Ali Trophy.”
“The programming leading up to each quarter-final fight will give fans great insight into the combatants and what has gotten them to this point in their career,” said Schaefer. “You won’t want to miss any of the coverage leading up to these high-stakes showdowns.” AUDIENCE Network On Demand and DIRECTV NOW will make shoulder programming available during the fight week and continue all the way through fight night and conclude with a post-fight documentary.”
Pre-fight coverage on AUDIENCE Network On Demand and DIRECTV NOW will begin with coverage of the Mairis Briedis vs. Mike Perez WBSS cruiserweight quarter-final and continue through the quarter-final matchups concluding with the Juergen Braehmer vs. Rob Brant super middleweight showdown.
AUDIENCE Network is available to DIRECTV, DIRECTV NOW, U-verse, and AT&T UNLIMITED PLUS customers. It can be found on DIRECTV Channel 239, U-verse Channel 1114, and on DIRECTV, DIRECTV NOW, and U-verse apps.
Elena Gradinar will fight for the first time under her new co-promotional banner in a 10-rounder against Maria Jose Nunez in Narva, Estonia, on October 21.
Granados in the featured bout of a stacked undercard for Deontay Wilder vs. Luis Ortiz on Saturday, Nov. 4 at Barclays Center, the home of BROOKLYN BOXING™, in an event presented by Premier Boxing Champions.
The 29-year-old Porter (27-2-1, 17 KOs), who was born in Akron, Ohio and now lives in Las Vegas, remains one of the top welterweights in the division and aims to secure another title shot with a strong performance against Granados.
“To be fighting on an undercard for a Deontay Wilder fight is nothing short of excellent,” said Porter. “I’m excited and looking forward to this opportunity. Against Granados I’m getting into the ring with someone who is very established as an amateur and a professional, has great skills and isn’t going to go in there and lay down. That’s always going to bring out the best in me, and that’s always going to create a very exciting match-up. I know that when I do what I’m planning to do, it’s going to be exciting, entertaining and fill the seats.”
Adrian Granados (18-5-2, 12 KOs), of Chicago, is accustomed to tough assignments and is known for delivering exciting toe-to-toe action. The 28-year-old has been in with Felix Diaz, losing a close majority decision in 2014, and then unbeaten Amir Imam, whom he defeated by TKO in 2015 when Imam was the top contender at 140-pounds. Granados went punch for punch with Adrien Broner in his last match, but came up just short, losing a split decision in Broner’s hometown of Cincinnati on Feb. 18.
“I’m very excited to be fighting one of the best welterweights in the world in Shawn Porter,” said Granados. “With our styles it’s going to be fireworks from the opening bell. I was getting ready for a fight in October but when this opportunity arose I jumped at it.
It’s a tremendous card to be fighting on with the whole world watching and I’m looking to
put on a great performance.”
The 28-year-old Sergey Lipinets (12-0, 10 KOs) is a former kickboxer from Russia who has been waiting nearly a year for his opportunity to fight for a world championship. Lipinets has only been the distance twice in his pro career and he earned his title shot with an eighth-round knockout of Lenny Zappavigna in a title eliminator last December. In his most recent start, Lipinets stopped Clarence Booth via third-round TKO in March at Barclays Center.
“I feel very privileged to be in the position to fight for this world title,” said Lipinets. “I will prepare to face the best possible fighter on that night and I promise that I will not disappoint. The lights will be bright but I have trained too hard not to leave the ring as a world champion.”
Akihiro Kondo (29-6-1, 16 KOs) will be making his U.S. debut and fighting for a world championship for the first time when he meets Lipinets for the 140-pound title. The 32-year-old Kondo, of Kazo, Saitama, Japan, has won eight straight matches, including five by stoppage. This will be his third fight this year after he stopped Komsan Polsan in March and defeated Yuya Okazaki by TKO in May.
Former world champion Bermane Stiverne (25-2-1, 21 KOs) is coming off a two-year absence from the ring. Stiverne, 38, became the first Haitian-born boxer to win the heavyweight title when he defeated Chris Arreola in May of 2014. He lost the title to Wilder by decision on January of 2015 in Las Vegas. In his last fight Stiverne, who moved from Canada and now resides in Las Vegas, Nev., defeated Derric Rossy via decision.
The 32-year-old Dominic Breazeale (18-1, 16 KOs) was a member of the 2012 U.S. Olympic boxing team and won his first 17 pro fights before suffering the only loss of his career when he fell short vying for a title against now-unified champion Anthony Joshua in June of 2016. In his last match, the fighter from of Alhambra, Calif. scored a fifth-round TKO victory over Polish heavyweight contender Izu Ugonoh on Feb. 25 in a memorable slugfest
Anthony Yigit (19-0-1, 7 KOs) and Sandor Martin (29-1, 10 KOs) both appeared in a confident mood as they exchanged words at today’s final pre-fight press conference ahead of their European Super Lightweight Championship fight on Saturday at the Solnahallen in Stockholm, Sweden.
Yigit became the first Swedish fighter for 30 years to claim the European strap when he went behind enemy lines to defeat former British Champion Lenny Daws for the coveted blue and gold belt in February, and his maiden defence will be the first time in over 50 years the title has been contested on Swedish soil.
The 26 year-old from Stockholm, who is hoping for a triumphant homecoming, believes he is just ‘too good’ and ‘too fit’ for his Spanish counterpart and is predicting a stoppage victory in the later rounds.
‘’Martin is a good all round fighter,’’ said Yigit. ‘’He can come forward, he can go backyards and he can counter. He can do a little bit of everything, but whatever he does, I can do it better, and I don’t think he is going to be able to withstand my tempo. I think he is going to quit in the later rounds. I’m just too fit and too good for him and I don’t believe he is going to be able to cope with my pace.
‘’I’ve fought abroad a lot. I’ve fought two Danish guys in Denmark, I’ve fought a German guy in Germany and I won the title in London so I’m used to being the away fighter, but of course, it’s always better to fight at home. This is where the title belongs and it will be a great feeling after 50 years to bring the European title back to Sweden and defend it here.’’
Martin has not come to make up the numbers, and the former European Union Champion from Barcelona says he will follow in the footsteps of his compatriots Javier Castillejo and Loli Munoz in securing a victory over his Swedish rival.
”I’m very happy to be here in Sweden and I’m really looking forward to this Saturday,’’ said Martin. ‘’Yigit is a very good fighter both in attack and defence but I believe I have the advantage in both departments. Like Javier Castillejo when he beat Paolo Roberto and Loli Munez when she defeated Mikaela Laurén, Spain will triumph over Sweden again and there will be a new champion!’’
Promoter Nisse Sauerland is expecting a tough fight for Yigit but is backing his fighter to retain his European crown. ‘’We’re delighted to be bringing the European title back to Sweden after 50 years for what promises to be great fight.
‘’Sandor is the mandatory challenger so there was no avoiding him. It’s a battle of the southpaws and he will provide a tough test for Anthony’s first defence. However I believe Anthony has the ability to make a real statement on Saturday night and from there we can start to look towards a World title challenge.‘’
Four exciting bouts on the “Briedis vs. Perez” card, promoted by Sauerland Event, will air in Canada exclusively on Super Channel.
A loud chorus of boos rang out as another controversial Las Vegas decision was rendered in tonight’s Leduan Barthelemy vs. Eduardo Ramirez featherweight battle at the Cannery Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas.
Ramirez, of Los Mochis, Sinaloa, Mexico, seemed to have done more than enough to deserve the nod over a listless Barthelemy in the 10-round featherweight main event of a Premier Boxing Champions “Cuba vs. Mexico” TOE-TO-TOE TUESDAY event, televised nationally on FS1 & BOXEO DE CAMPEONES on FOX Deportes.
After 10 rounds of pounding and chasing the exhausted Cuban around the ring, often landing multi-punch combinations to the head and body, Ramirez and corner rightfully celebrated their well-deserved upset victory… But in Las Vegas boxing, nothing is certain, especially scoring.
While Judge Glen Trowbridge was able to pick the right winner at least (but by too tight a margin) at 96-94, the other two inexplicably scored the lopsided beating (Tim Cheatham) 95-95 and an unbelievable 97-93 Barthelemy from Patricia Morse Jarman.
This controversial scoring is the second time Las Vegas judges have made major blunders on national television in a short time, as it comes less than two weeks after the Canelo vs. GGG scoring debacle.
It is also not the first time Morse Jarman has been involved in controversial and highly questionable scoring.
Her decades of head-scratching scores include having Fernando Vargas ahead of Oscar De La Hoya at the time of De La Hoya’s 11th round stoppage victory, as well as having Beibut Shumenov winning 117-111 in a fight against Gabriel Campillo that Campillo clearly dominated and was robbed. Also among her long list of missteps, Morse Jarman had Marco Antonio Barrera beating Nasim Hamed by a mere three points in a fight regarded by all (except Morse Jarman) as a one-sided beating.
With the “draw” Barthelemy escapes to 13-0-1, 7 KOs. Ramirez undeservedly sinks to 20-0-3, 7 KOs.
The World Boxing Super Series has delivered three very different but all extremely exciting and entertaining fights. There is much more to come, promises Kalle Sauerland, Chief Boxing Officer of tournament organizer Comosa AG.
“I’m certain we’ll be able to enjoy another fantastic night of boxing and a stunning event in Riga this Saturday,” said Kalle Sauerland.
“The fight between Mairis Briedis and Mike Perez will provide even more breathtaking boxing entertainment, that’s what happens when the Ali Trophy arrives in town!”
The World Boxing Super Series kicked off in July at the Draft Gala in Monaco when 16 fighters across two weight divisions were paired in quarterfinal bouts.
So far we have seen three of those fights. Olympic Gold Medallist and current WBO World Champion Aleksandr Usyk kicked off the cruiserweight tournament by spectacularly stopping Marco Huck, a former record breaking World Champion himself, in the 10th round in Berlin.
That was followed by Callum Smith’s unanimous decision against Erik Skoglund in the super middleweight division in Liverpool for the WBC Diamond Belt and a place in the Semi Finals, and most recently WBA World Champion Yunier Dorticos defeated number one ranked Dmitry Kudryashov with a sensational second round knockout in San Antonio.
“I think it’s been fantastic entertainment,” says Kalle Sauerland.
“Aleksandr Usyk’s extreme quality and Marco Huck’s bravery got us off to a great start in Berlin and then we saw a very intriguing 50/50 Super Middleweight Championship fight between Callum Smith and Erik Skoglund in Liverpool, he adds.
“The way those two handled themselves in and out of the ring was great to see for anyone involved in the sport of boxing.”
“Dorticos against Kudryashov was always going to provide fireworks and so it proved. We’ve enjoyed three very different but all very entertaining fights so far. Thankfully, there is much more to come.”
“The World Boxing Super Series has been dubbed ‘the Champions League of boxing’ and the reception from the media, broadcasters and most importantly the fans has been amazing every where we go. I keep being told how much they’re enjoying the competition so far – all I can say is “so am I”.
“The sporting level has been truly world class and the brand of the World Boxing Super Series is growing rapidly day by day. We could not have hoped for a better start.”
Kalle Sauerland reveals that Comosa AG and its partners are working hard to ensure that fans can continue to enjoy the World Boxing Super Series.
“Along with our partners we are making minor adjustments along the way to make the experience of going to the events even better for fight fans. That will also benefit all of the fans watching the events on TV or via streaming from around the world.”
“For example we are working on improving even further the experience for the fans at the venue, with our own dedicated Arena TV so that the evening gets even more of a storyline for the on site fans which will only add to the already amazing atmospheres that have been generated. We are taking the experience to a whole new level not just for the television viewers with our revolutionary productions, light shows and side programming but also for the fans at the venue so that they too receive a more 360 degree experience.”