Chris Eubank Jr. 167.1lbs (25-1, 19 KOs) and Avni Yildirim 167.9lbs (16-0, 10 KO) made weight ahead of Saturday’s Ali Trophy quarter-final at the Hanns-Martin-Schleyer-Halle in Stuttgart.
“I am looking forward to the fight, and I believe I will stop my opponent,” said Chris Eubank Jr.
“The Ali Trophy is the stage for me to show what Chris Eubank Jr. is about, and I will show that I am the best super-middleweight in the world. I can’t wait to get started in this amazing tournament.”
His Turkish opponent is, however, ready to show he has the ability to enter the world stage.
“I am going to make the Turkish people proud,” said Yildirim.
“I am proud to represent my country and the Turkish flag, and I know I have what it takes to win the Muhammad Ali Trophy starting with beating Eubank. He should prepare for war!”
TACOMA, Wash. – Brian Halquist Productions is proud to announce the signing of super middleweight contender Mike “Imagine Me” Gavronski (24-2-1, 15 KOs) to a multiple-year promotional contract.Gavronski is currently ranked No. 5 by the WBA’s North American Boxing Association (NABA), No. 5 by the IBF’s United States Boxing Association (USBA), and No. 2 by the WBC’s North American Boxing Federation (NABF).
“It’s exciting. I think we have some big opportunities coming our way,” said Gavronski, a native of Tacoma, Wash. Gavronski will have his first bout under the promotional agreement in the main event at Battle at the Boat 113 at the Emerald Queen Casino on Saturday, Nov. 18 against top contender, Andrew Hernandez. for the WBA-NABA super middleweight title.
“Tacoma has this incredible tradition of producing world-class boxers,” Promoter, Brian Halquist said. “The list is legendary. You have Olympic Gold Medalist Sugar Ray Seales. You have former world champions in Leo Randolph, Johnny Bumphus and Rocky Lockridge. Mike Gavronski is the next in the line to join that highly selective fraternity. ”Gavronski is coming off a TKO victory over Brian Vera on Sept. 9. It was his fourth consecutive win.“We’re just looking to keep this thing rolling along,” Gavronski said. “I really believe I have the perfect people in my corner with my coach Eddie Rivas and Sam Ditusa. We just all click together.”
Following a loss to Dashon Johnson in a bout for the vacant WBA-NABA USA super middleweight championship on Nov. 7, 2015, Gavronski has been on a tear.He returned to his winning ways on Sept. 10, 2016 by handing previously undefeated Australian champion Jake Carr his first career setback with a sixth-round TKO. Carr has since won his last three fights.Following the Carr victory, Gavronski squared off against knockout artist Thomas Awimbono, who was looking to extend his 18-fight winning streak in their Nov. 19, 2016 bout.That failed to happen as Gavronski dominated their showdown, winning by unanimous decision in a lopsided affair.
“Mike’s next fight will be the biggest of his career,” said Halquist. “He has worked hard and is ready to make his move towards a world title shot. By winning the WBA’s NABA title, Mike will essentially be guaranteed a top ten world ranking in the WBA. Our intention is to win this fight and come right back in January to defend the title. Each and every fight going forward will be the biggest fight in Mike’s career. That’s how close Mike is to a title fight. This will be a great ride for the Northwest boxing fans. It’s been awhile since we’ve had a legitimate world title contender and I couldn’t be more excited. Our goal is to have Mike fight for a title right here in the Northwest.”Gavronski made his 2017 debut on June 3 when he stepped into the ring to face Quinton Rankin (12-3-2). Gavronski would once again win by unanimous decision, placing him right on the doorstep of a top 20 world ranking.
Before turning pro in 2010, Gavronski was a local amateur sensational. Training with the Tacoma Boxing Club, he was a three-time Tacoma Golden Gloves champion, winning the 165-pound title three consecutive years (2006-2008), and earned the prestigious Tacoma Golden Boy title, which is presented annually to the tournament’s most outstanding boxer, in 2008. Gavronski made his pro debut on Jan. 9, 2010, defeating Darren Anzai by TKO at the Emerald Queen Casino.
He has fought 12 times at the Tacoma venue, posting a remarkable record of 11-1-0 with 6 KOs.After opening his career with a record of 14-0-1, Gavronski faced future WBC Silver middleweight champion Tureano Johnson for the vacant WBC Continental Americas middleweight title on July 11, 2014. Johnson would win by decision.Gavronski responded to the setback by winning his next six bouts, including a victory over Dashon Johnson.
Chris Eubank Jr. honoured his father at a photo shoot before Saturday’s Ali Trophy quarter-final clash with Avni Yildirim at the Hanns-Martin-Schleyer-Halle in Stuttgart, Germany.
“My father was one of the most dazzling figures in boxing in his era and one of the most successful,” said Eubank Jr. about his legendary father, two-weight champion Chris Eubank Sr.
“He electrified the audience and made his opponents feel insecure,” Jr. recalled.
One of the most electrifying moments came in May 1995, when Chris Eubank Sr. entered the arena on a Harley-Davidson before fighting Steve Collins.
“Boxing is not only a sport, but also a show, and I will try to be as good as my father in both matters.” However, Junior also remembered the outcome of the fight in 1995:
“It was the first defeat of my father. That’s why I chose another Harley-Davidson for the photo shoot.” Instead of a ‘1975 Shovelhead’, Junior chose a ‘2018 Fat Boy’ – the successor model of the famous motorcycle from the Terminator-movies.
“I am the next generation, the future of boxing. On Saturday I will terminate Yildirim, the so-called Turkish Rambo,” said Eubank Jr. and promised: “Before I win the ‘Ali Trophy’ in May next year, I’ll enter an arena on a Harley just like my father!”
BROOKLYN (Oct. 5, 2017) – WBC Heavyweight World Champion Deontay Wilder will defend his title against mandatory challenger Bermane Stiverne on Saturday, Nov. 4 live on SHOWTIME in a rematch of their 2015 world title fight. The event is presented by Premier Boxing Champions from Barclays Center, the home of BROOKLYN BOXING™.
Wilder (38-0, 37 KOs) dethroned defending champion Stiverne in January 2015 via unanimous decision in what was the promising challenger’s toughest fight to date. With the win, Wilder became the first American heavyweight champion in nearly a decade and he has gone on to defend the title five times. Stiverne (25-2-1, 21 KOs) remains the only Wilder opponent to go the distance with the hard-hitting Tuscaloosa, Ala., native who has knocked out every other professional opponent on his long resume.
The Nov. 4 main event will be the second heavyweight world championship bout to air live on SHOWTIME on back-to-back Saturdays. On Oct. 28 unified heavyweight world champion Anthony Joshua will meet Kubrat Pulev for Joshua’s IBF and WBA world titles in the main event of a fight card from Cardiff, Wales.
After Wilder vs. Stiverne I, Stiverne was hospitalized at University Medical Center in Las Vegas for severe dehydration and muscle damage, which he claimed affected his performance in his first title defense. Stiverne bounced back with a win over Derric Rossy and has been advocating for a rematch since.
“Stiverne asked for it, so he’s going to get it,” Wilder said. “Whatever happens happens. Ask and you shall receive. I’m relieved to be getting my mandatory out of the way. At least now I won’t have to deal with that down the road.
“In the first fight, I broke my hand in the third round, and I still dominated. That was a lot of the reason why it went the distance. This time it’s a different day, different time and different fight. This time it won’t end well for him.”Despite all of these obstacles that are thrown in my path, it still will not stop me from reaching my ultimate goal, which is to be the undisputed heavyweight champion of the world.”Stiverne replaces Luis Ortiz, who was pulled from the fight by the WBC on Wednesday after he failed a VADA anti-doping test.
“Stiverne will pay for Luis Ortiz screwing up,” Wilder concluded.
Stiverne was in camp preparing to fight Dominic Breazeale in a heavyweight attraction on the Nov. 4 undercard. Now the Haitian-born Las Vegas resident gets a shot at winning back the heavyweight crown he first won with a knockout of Chris Arreola in 2014.
“I am ready, willing and able to seize back my title from Wilder,” Stiverne said. “We all know that Wilder dodged a bullet in the first fight, but not this time. It was my fault, but I learn from my mistakes. On November 4, Wilder will feel my pain.”
After defeating Stiverne, Wilder went on to knockout each of his next five challengers including twice as the headliner on SHOWTIME. Wilder-Stiverne II will be the 10th heavyweight world championship fight to air live on SHOWTIME in the last two years as the heavyweight division continues its resurgence. “The show must go on, as they say, and Deontay Wilder still plans to put on a show for New York City,” said Lou DiBella, President of DiBella Entertainment and promoter of the stacked Nov. 4 event. “Considering Stiverne’s status as mandatory challenger, he was always going to be a roadblock in Deontay’s quest for heavyweight unification. Now it’s time to see if Deontay can clear that roadblock and continue on his path to becoming the undisputed heavyweight champion and the most recognizable and dominant force in boxing.”
In the SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING co-feature, former welterweight world champion Shawn Porter will battle perennial contender Adrian Granados in a matchup of two all-action fighters. In the opening bout of the three-fight telecast beginning at 9 p.m. ET/6 p.m. PT, unbeaten contender Sergey Lipinets will take on Akihiro Kondo for the vacant IBF Junior Welterweight World Championship.
Team Sauerland is delighted to announce the signing of undefeated British super middleweight Zach Parker (13-0, 10 KOs) on a long-term promotional contract.
The 23 year-old from Derbyshire recently announced himself on the domestic scene with an emphatic first-round knockout victory over Luke Blackledge, in an official eliminator for the British Super Middleweight Championship.
Parker, who has already made a name for himself on the UK’s ‘small hall’ circuit with a number of impressive performances, has expressed his pleasure at signing with Team Sauerland and finally getting the chance to shine on the big stage.
“I can’t thank Team Sauerland enough for this massive opportunity they have given me,’’ said Parker. ‘’I’ve been going under the radar for the last couple years, but now I can really showcase my talents on the biggest stage.
“The sky is the limit for me. I believe I have the potential to go all the way and become World Champion, but first, I’ve got my sights set on the British title. I would like to fight the likes of Rocky Fielding in the near future.”
Parker will make his promotional debut on October 7 at the Hans-Martin-Schleyer Halle in Stuttgart against Matingu Kindele (9-6-1, 3 KOs) on the undercard of the World Boxing Super Series Quarter-Final clash between Chris Eubank Jr and Avni Yildirim.
Promoter Nisse Sauerland is expecting big things from his latest British signing, and believes Parker will soon be a household name in the UK.
“It’s great to add another talented British boxer to our stable,” said Sauerland. “I believe Parker is ready for the big fights now, he proved that with his stunning knockout win over Luke Blackledge in Liverpool. He will soon be in line to fight for the British title, after winning his official eliminator, but ultimately, I believe, with the right guidance, he will one day become World Champion.’’
Standout amateur star Filip Hrgović has signed a long-term promotional pact with European powerhouse promoter Team Sauerland.
The 25 year-old Croatian joins the professional ranks following a stellar amateur career that saw him claim bronze at the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio and gold at the 2015 European Championships in Samokov.
He brings with him a wealth of experience from over 100 amateur bouts and five seasons in AIBA’s World Boxing Series where having won 26 of his 30 fights he is the most successful boxer in the competition’s history.
Explaining his decision to join Team Sauerland, the highly sought after heavyweight said: “They are one of the best promoters in the business and have been for a long time. Team Sauerland have a big tradition in boxing and offered me good conditions to develop myself and to develop my skills.
“It is important to have a strong promoter behind you to guide your career. Team Sauerland have built a lot of world champions in the past. They know how to do their job, and together, I think we can make some big things happen.”
Having started his professional career in style, stopping the experienced Brazilian Raphael Zumbano Love in just 90 seconds last weekend in Riga, Hrgović believes the timing is right for him to turn over and has already set his sights on the biggest prize in boxing.
“I had a very long and successful amateur career with many big achievements but I think now is the right time for me to become a professional,” he said. “I fought a very experience guy in my first fight and I was satisfied with my performance. I think I made a good introduction to the professional game.
‘’My goals are always big and I’m always looking for the biggest achievements so winning the World Heavyweight Championship is now my number one aim, and I believe I will achieve this one day.’’
Hrgović will return to action on October 27 in Schwerin, Germany fighting against Pavel Sour (6-0, 5 KOs) in a six-round contest on the undercard of the World Boxing Super Series quarter-final between Juergen Braehmer and Rob Brant.
“I’m really looking forward to fighting again,’’ said Hrgović. “I had a big break between the Olympic Games and my professional career so I can’t wait to get back into the ring. I would like to fight as often as is possible!”
Team Sauerland promoter Kalle Sauerland expressed his delight at securing Hrgović’s signature and says he believes he has signed a future World Champion.
“We have been tracking Filip for the past seven years so it is with great pleasure that we announce his signing today,” said Sauerland. “Filip is a special talent and without a doubt the future of the heavyweight division. He has the potential to become a global star and I believe it is only a matter of time before he is World Champion.”
Absolute chaos at Eubank and Yildirim’s final press conference in Stuttgart
British IBO Champion Chris Eubank Jr. (25-1-0,19 KOs) and Turkish Avni Yildirim (16-0, 10 KOs) and their respective teams fought with words at an overheated press conference before Saturday’s Ali Trophy quarter-final clash at the Hanns-Martin-Schleyer Halle.
At the end of the press conference, things escalated when Yildirim’s manager Ahmet Öner was close to engaging himself in a fight with a member of Team Eubank Jr.
Chris Eubank Jr. set the tone for the press conference in his opening statement:
“The warship has landed fully equipped, fully loaded and all the artillery is pointing at Yildirim,” said the 28-year-old third seed in the Ali Trophy super-middleweight tournament.
“So you are coming with all your weapons,” said 26-year-old Avni Yildirim.
“Don’t forget the first world war when everybody was after the Turks and couldn’t do it. We are still here and everyone knows what Turkish soldiers are capable of. Turks are soldiers, war is in our DNA.”
Ahmet Öner, Yildirim’s manager and coach:
“Eubank Jr. is right – this will be war. I hope he has enough weapons to stay 12 rounds. If you win I will be the first guy to respect you and shake your hand, but I do not see that happen.”
Eubank Jr. added:
“One thing I do want to say. I have a lot of respect for the Turkish community, I have Turkish friends and I like Turkish food. This is a fight between two men. I advise Avni to take his focus of off stirring up a drama between two countries.”
Comosa’s Chief Boxing Officer, Kalle Sauerland:
“We are delighted to be in Stuttgart, a great fight town.”
“Eubank Jr. and Yildirim are both stars in their own rights in their countries. We will see a war between two gladiators, two outstanding athletes.”
BROOKLYN (October 3, 2017) – Popular, undefeated Dominican heavyweight George Arias (8-0, 4 KOs), of The Bronx, NY, has been added to the undercard of the SHOWTIME Championship Boxing tripleheader, presented by Premier Boxing Champions, on Saturday, October 14, at Barclays Center, the home of BROOKLYN BOXING. Newly signed to promoter DiBella Entertainment, Arias will face Mexican Mario Heredia (14-5, 12 KOs), a former WBC Fecombox titlist from San Diego, CA, in a scheduled eight-round contest.
“I am very happy and grateful for this opportunity to sign with DiBella Entertainment and to be a part of this great event at Barclays Center on October 14,” said Arias. “I look forward to displaying my talent in front the local fans as I work toward my goal of becoming a world champion.”
“Heavyweight George Arias is a tremendous prospect with an entertaining, fan-friendly style,” said Lou DiBella, President of DiBella Entertainment. “I am excited to add him to an already-stacked undercard on October 14 at Barclays Center, in his first fight under the DiBella Entertainment banner.”
Born in San Francisco de Macoris, Dominican Republic, Arias moved to New York City in 1996, at four years old. After graduating from high school, he learned to box at Morris Park Boxing Gym near his home. He won the New York Golden Gloves tournament in 2014 then turned pro that October. Now trained and managed by Leon Washington Jr. and advised by Andre Rozier, Arias returned to the ring in 2017 following a 13-month layoff and has won three straight. On June 3, Arias emerged victorious via unanimous decision after a six-round war against undefeated Russian prospect Ruslan Shamalov, in the co-featured bout of DiBella Entertainment’s “Broadway Boxing” series. Arias then made his Barclays Center debut on July 29, handing Elder Hernandez his first loss by fourth-round stoppage, on the undercard of the Broner vs. Garcia event. Anxious to thrill his growing hometown fan base, Arias is determined to add another impressive victory to his ledger on October 14.
The SHOWTIME Championship Boxing tripleheader presented by Premier Boxing Champions on Saturday, October 14, features six of the world’s best super welterweights, with three world titles at stake, from Barclays Center, the home of BROOKLYN BOXING®.
Headlining the card, Erislandy Lara makes the seventh defense of his WBA title against unbeaten contender Terrell Gausha. WBC titlist Jermell Charlo takes on the young, hungry and fellow unbeaten Erickson Lubin in the co-feature and Jarrett Hurd opens up the telecast defending his IBF belt for the first time against former champion Austin Trout.