50 Cent moves from James Kirkland's Awesome performance to 'Big Apple Boxing' Dec. 20 at Resorts World Casino NYC
NEW YORK - Boxing promoter/rapper Curtis "50 Cent" Jackson intends to parlay the tremendous excitement from James "Mandingo Warrior" Kirkland's awesome performance this past weekend into a memorable evening of entertaining boxing on Friday night, December 20 as his company, SMS Promotions, presents "Big Apple Boxing" at Resorts World Casino NYC in Jamaica, Queens, New York.
Kirkland (32-1, 28 KOs), who is the most recent boxer signed by 50 Cent's SMS Promotions, destroyed previously unbeaten and world-rated Glen "Jersey Boy" Tapia (20-1, 12 KOs), live on HBO last Saturday night from Atlantic City (NJ). Fighting for the first time since March 24, 2012, when he defeated current International Boxing Federation (IBF) junior middleweight champion Carlos Molina, Kirkland's SMS Promotions debut stole the entire show in an thrilling, all-out war that mercifully ended in the sixth round as referee Steve Smoger halted the action with Kirkland unloaded powerful shots on an overmatched Tapia.
Now, 50 Cent has shifted his focus to "Big Apple Boxing," featuring seven of the best under-25 boxing prospects in the world.
"The prospects on this card are well prepared and highly motivated," 50 Cent said. "We saw a lot of action this weekend in Atlantic City and will continue the excitement at our next installment of Big Apple Boxing."
Unbeaten junior lightweight prospects Joel Diaz, Jr. (13-0, 11 KOs) and Wanzell Ellison (9-0-1, 5 KOs) headline "Big Apple Boxing" in a 10-round bout. The 21-year-old Diaz, fighting out of Palmdale, California, faces his toughest test to date in Newark's (NJ) 24-year-old Ellison.
A 10/12-round junior welterweight match between 23-year-old undefeated Amir "Young Master" Imam (11-0, 10 KOs), of Albany (NJ), and cagey Mexican veteran Sergio "Sirenito" Perez (28-15, 9 KOs) has been added to the card as the co-feature.
Arizona junior welterweight "Magic Man" Luis Olivares (6-0, 4 KOs), 21, puts his undefeated record on the line against Tony "Sugar Boy" Walker (5-3-1, 3 KOs) in one of five six-round fights. The others include undefeated Puerto Rican junior middleweight Emmanuel "Pirata" De Jesus (8-0, 5 KOs), 20, vs. Antonio Fernandez-Chaves (4-13-2), from Brockton, Massachusetts by way of the American Virgin Islands; Washington D.C. super bantamweight Thomas "KO" Snow (16-1, 10 KOs) vs. Hartford's Nate Green (4-0, 1 KO), and 23-year-old Cincinnati welterweight Donte Strayhorn (3-1) vs. New York's Sam Moura (0-2).
Scheduled to fight in four-round matches are former U.S. amateur star, 20-year-old Tennessean Ryan "Blue-Chip" Martin (1-0, 1 KO) vs. Las Vegas lightweight Eric Jamar Goodall (1-2), and pro-debuting Brooklyn bantamweight Mafato Kamogawa vs. native New Yorker Michelle Cook (0-0-1).
All fights and fighters are subject to change.
2014 BEGINS WITH A BANG ON FRIDAY, JANUARY 24TH
CURTIS STEVENS VS. PATRICK MAJEWSKI & THABISO MCHUNU VS. GARRETT WILSON
ATLANTIC CITY - The popular nationally televised live boxing series, Fight Night, begins the new year with a bang on Friday, January 24th with an explosive double header from Resorts International Hotel Casino in Atlantic City. Topping the card, which will be telecast on NBC Sports Network Fight Night beginning at 10PM ET, is a 10-round middleweight contest between hard-hitting contender Curtis Stevens, 25-4, 18 KOs, and the iron-jawed Patrick Majewski, 21-2, 13 KOs.
"Showtime" Stevens, Brooklyn, NY, is coming off a gallant challenge of 160-pound champ Gennady Golovkin, and is eager to battle his way back to another title try. Stevens is known for his devastating punching power, and has scored quickies against seasoned Saul Roman, warrior Elvin Ayala, then-undefeated Piotr Wilczewski and many others. This time out, Stevens will learn if his fists can crack the granite in Majewski's chin.
Stevens said "I am back. I will show everyone the Curtis Stevens that they know and love."
Polish born Patrick "The Machine" Majewski now calls Atlantic City home, and will look to use his hometown advantage to surprise the highly-regarded Stevens. The Machine holds wins over world title challenger Antwun Echols, hot prospect Chris Fitzpatrick, as well as tough Philly fighters Jamaal Davis and Latif Mundy. Majewski is big and strong, and has only been off his feet once in his seven-year career. In Stevens, Majewski will face his toughest and most powerful foe to date.
"This is a great fight and it's a great opportunity. It's a big test," said Majewski, "I can't wait to get it on!"
The 10-round co-feature bout is another exciting matchup. South African cruiserweight, Thabiso Mchunu, 14-1, 10 KOs, takes on Philadelphia crowd-pleaser Garrett Wilson, 13-7-1, 7 KOs, in what figures to be an interesting clash of styles.
In his last bout, also on NBC Sports Network, Mchunu, spoiled the cruiserweight debut of Philly's Eddie Chambers with a dominant points win over the former heavyweight title challenger. The mysterious Mchunu, nicknamed "The Rock", displayed a tricky southpaw style against Chambers. With the upset, Thabiso sent a message to all cruiserweight contenders that he is ready for a run at the title. But first he must topple a dangerous opponent.
Mchunu is confident he will best Wilson. "Last time my win was clinical - This time it's gonna be catastrophic!"
Garrett Wilson won many fans last month when he stepped up to the heavyweight division on three days' notice to give undefeated prospect Czar Glazkov a load of trouble in their 10-round fight on NBC broadcast TV. The outing was typical fare for the "Ultimate Warrior", as Wilson showed fans outside of Philly why he is so popular within the City of Brotherly Love. He put on a breakthrough performance that was full of heart, attitude, toughness, and a hail of hard punches. Against Mchunu, Wilson gets another chance to make his mark on national TV.
Wilson anticipates giving his fans another great show,"I'm a cruiser weight who went the distance with a undefeated top ten rated heavy weight with an exceptionally high KO parentage on three days notice. Imagine what I will do with two months to train!"
Undefeated prospects Joel Diaz, Jr. vs. Wanzell Ellison Headline 50 Cent's 'Big Apple Boxing' event
NEW YORK CITY - Unbeaten junior lightweight prospects Joel Diaz, Jr. (13-0, 11 KOs) and Wanzell Ellison (9-0-1, 5 KOs) headline "Big Apple Boxing," presented by 50 Cent's SMS Promotions, on Friday night, December 20 at Resorts World Casino NYC in Jamaica, Queens, New York.
"This is going to be an exciting night in boxing," promoter Curtis "50 Cent" Jackson said. "The fighters on this card are highly motivated and I'm looking forward to watching their talent unfold in the ring. We'll also have special performances from Prodigy of Mobb Deep, Tory Ave and Tony Yayo. You won't want to miss this one."
The 21-year-old Diaz, fighting out of Palmdale, California, will be fighting in his third scheduled 10-round bout having stopped Guillermo Sanchez and Emmanuel Lucero, respectively, in the second and fifth rounds. Diaz has defeated one other unbeaten opponent, Guy Robb (7-0), who Diaz finished-off in the seventh round of their 2012 fight on ShoBox.
The lone blemish on 24-year-old Ellison's professional record is a draw in 2011 with Carlos Vinan. Fighting out of Newark (NJ), Ellison will be fighting in his first scheduled 10-rounder.
Arizona junior welterweight "Magic Man" Luis Olivares (6-0, 4 KOs) puts his undefeated record on the line against Tony "Sugar Boy" Walker (5-3-1, 3 KOs) in the six-round co-feature.
Undefeated Puerto Rican junior middleweight Emmanuel "Pirata" De Jesus (8-0, 5 KOs) will be showcased in a six-round match versus an opponent to be determined. Also slated to fight on the undercard in six-round bouts are Maryland super bantamweight Thomas "KO" Snow (16-1, 10 KOs) vs. Hartford's Nate Green (4-0, 1 KO), Cincinnati welterweight Donte Strayhorn (3-1) vs. Virginia's Christian Steele (3-7-2, 1 KO) and undefeated welterweight prospect Felix Diaz (14-0, 8 KOs), a 2008 Olympic gold medalist from the Dominican Republic, vs. TBA; former U.S. amateur star, Tennessean Ryan "Blue-Chip" Martin (1-0, 1 KO) vs. Las Vegas lightweight Eric Jamar Goodall (1-2), and pro-debuting Brooklyn bantamweight Mafato Kamogawa vs. New Yorker Michelle Cook (0-0-1), in a pair of scheduled four-round fights.
All fights and fighters are subject to change.
UNDEFEATED RODRIGUEZ READY FOR REDEMPTION AT RESORTS
ATLANTIC CITY - After being away from the ring for two years, undefeated heavyweight David "Nino" Rodriguez, 36-0, 34 KOs, gets his chance to finally return to his promising boxing career, on December 14th at Resorts International Hotel and Casino in Atlantic City. His 6-round bout against Darnell Wilson, 24-17-3, 20 KOs, is one of the main supporting attractions on a packed fight card that features a dynamite double header, with heavyweights Amir Mansour and Kelvin Price in the 10-round main event and Ryan Coyne vs. Lionell Thompson as the 10-round light heavyweight co-feature. The two feature bouts will be nationally televised on the NBC Sports Network Fight Night series. The Rodriguez-Wilson bout takes place off-TV.
For Rodriguez, just getting back to business after a hellish 24 months represents a personal redemption for the El Paso, TX native. However, Rodriguez won't just settle for the moral victory of coming back from the mountain of adversity that nearly ended both his life and his boxing career. Against Wilson, Rodriguez seeks a win that will reboot a career that was so filled with potential before the layoff began.
Rodriguez has topped every opponent he's faced, and is riding a nine-bout knockout streak, including a pair of showy stoppages against Owen Beck and Byron Polley in 2011. After those victories, Rodriguez seemed poised for a climb up the heavyweight rankings. However, a series of devastating setbacks stopped the 6' 4", 250-pound fighter in his tracks.
Shortly after his win over Polley in December 2011, Rodriguez was the victim of a knife attack. The assault left his face scarred, but miraculously, he was still alive and able to fight. However, after surgery and a lengthy rehab, Rodriguez returned to the gym, only to badly injure his knee. The injury required surgery, as well as another long recovery. Such adversity may have discouraged a weaker person, but Rodriguez proved he was a fighter by battling back.
On December 14th, Rodriguez steps back into the ring to get on with his dream of becoming heavyweight champion of the world. His challenge that night will be seasoned pro Darnell "Ding-A-Ling Man" Wilson. It's a tough assignment, especially given the extended time off, but Rodriguez has shown the ability to bounce back like few others ever have.
When the bell rings, Rodriguez will be ready for redemption, and plans to send a message to the rest of the heavyweight division that he is finally back to boxing for good.
BROWNE NOT SURPRISED BY PRICE'S DECISION
LUCAS "BIG DADDY" BROWNE says he's far from shocked with David Price's decision to vacate the Commonwealth heavyweight title.
The hammer-fisted Aussie won the right to contest the crown when he halted Sheffield giant Richard Towers last month.
He was hoping to square off with Price in early 2014, but the Liverpudlian's new promoters, Sauerland, yesterday confirmed that he'll be relinquishing the championship along with his British belt.
Browne keeps busy against old foe Clarence Tillman on December 13 and will be ready for his title opportunity in the New Year.
"I can't say I'm surprised that Price has vacated to be honest. If Tony Thompson can stop Price, I know I can too," Lucas, 18-0 (16 KOs), said.
"I have a fight in a weeks' time that I'm focusing on and I can't wait to close 2013 with a bang before beginning 2014 with that title fight.
"I'll leave all the negotiations for the Commonwealth title up to my management and Ricky Hatton. I know I'm in good hands and I'm on the right path. "
Matt Clark, Browne's manager, believes his charge's devastating destruction of Towers in Hull five weeks ago has helped influence Price's decision.
"I think it's a wise move by Price and his promoter to relinquish the Commonwealth title rather than have him stopped by Lucas," he added.
"Adam Booth is Price's new trainer. He was ringside for Lucas stopping Richard Towers and he presumably didn't like what he saw."
He added: "Lucas is the mandatory challenger and our goal for a few years now has been to see him become the first Aussie in over 120 years to become Commonwealth heavyweight champion.
"Hatton Promotions have been instrumental in helping this to almost become a reality".
Photo By: Ed Diller/DBE
CALLING ALL WELTERWEIGHT TITLE HOLDERS: JO JO DAN WANTS AND DESERVES HIS SHOT IN 2014
New York, NY - Fresh off his thrilling 12-round split decision victory over hometown favorite and previously undefeated Kevin Bizier in Quebec City this past weekend, IBF #2 and WBC #6-rated welterweight contender Jo Jo Dan (32-2, 17KO's) is looking to land a much deserved world title opportunity sometime in 2014. The 32-year-old Romanian, who has been calling Canada home since late in his decorated amateur career, is hoping that one of the belt-holders in the loaded 147lb. division will step up and give him a shot.
"I am back at the top level," said an excited Dan following his victory over Bizier. "I am very satisfied with this win. Bizier was an undefeated, highly ranked fighter, and I came here and pulled out the decision in his backyard. My determination and experience were the difference in the fight."
"After Saturday night, Jo Jo Dan has clearly established himself as one of the best welterweights in the world and proven that he is championship material. It is time for him to get his opportunity. I hope that everyone who hasn't already seen his fight with Bizier gets a chance to watch it and see for themselves what kind of warrior Jo Jo Dan truly is," saidpromoter Lou DiBella.
In the bout with Bizier, Dan set a blistering pace right from the start, taking the fight directly to his opponent. Dan didn't let off the gas throughout, constantly pressing the action. Bizier had success of his own, landing hard shots against the southpaw Dan, but each time Bizier would score, Dan would fire off ferocious combinations on the inside to not let Bizier get the upper hand. The action-packed fight brought the near capacity crowd to their feet multiple times, and the fighters ended their grueling 12-round battle going toe-to-toe in the center of the ring.
It was the third consecutive victory for Dan following two close decision losses in world title opportunities to Selcuk Aydin in Aydin's home country of Turkey in 2010 and 2011. After the second loss, Dan was out of the ring for nearly a year before signing with DiBella Entertainment. Promoter Lou DiBella brought Dan to New York, featuring him on back-to-back Broadway Boxing cards at Roseland Ballroom, which were Dan's first bouts here in the US. The two wins propelled Dan back into the world ratings and set him up for the bout against Bizier this past Saturday.
"Jo Jo did a great job on Saturday night, winning two titles and becoming the #2-ranked contender in the IBF with his victory over the top-rated hometown favorite Bizier. The local media is calling it Quebec's 'Fight of the Year'. Fights like these are great for boxing. You had two warriors and gentlemen of the sport going toe-to-toe and giving the fans exactly what they want and deserve. Maybe, down the road, we can do this fight again, but next time with a world title at stake and main event status. In the meantime, we are looking for the biggest fights possible and trust that our promoter Lou DiBella will get us those opportunities. When those opportunities present themselves, as he did on Saturday night, Jo Jo Dan will be ready to make the most of it," said longtime manager Chris Ganescu.
With the impressive victory, there are a lot of options out there for Dan. He is highly rated in both the IBF and WBC and holds both the NABA and IBF Inter-Continental welterweight titles. A bout against the winner of this Saturday's all-Brooklyn bout on Showtime between Paulie Malignaggi and Zab Judah, a shot against hard-hitting Argentine WBC Silver welterweight champion Luis Carlos Abregu or even a IBF title eliminator against undefeated Kell Brook all make sense. But if you ask Dan, he isn't being picky.
"I just want my shot. I proved and solidified on Saturday what my team and I have felt for a very long time, that I am one of the best 147lb. fighters in the world. I deserve another shot at a piece of the welterweight crown. I don't care who it is. I trust my team will get me the best opportunity possible, and I have no doubt in my mind that I will be ready."
Lamont Peterson vs Dierry Jean on January 25th 2014!
Montréal - Golden Boy Promotions announced earlier this morning the official details of the upcoming IBF Junior Welterweight Championship bout between the current champion Lamont Peterson (31-2-1, 16 K.-O.) and the #1 ranked challenger, Montreal Quebec’s, Dierry Jean (25-0, 17 K.-O.). The title bout will take place at the D.C. Armory in Washington DC on Saturday, January 25th.
For what many consider to be Quebec’s biggest hidden boxing secret, this will represent his toughest test to date. Not only is Peterson a fierce and talented pugilist, he is also by far the most experienced of the two having face the elite of the division including Amir Khan, Kendall Holt, Timothy Bradley, Lucas Matthysse and Victor Ortiz.
“He’s been in the ring with many good fighters. But he hasn’t been in the ring with me!” Laughs Dierry. “I worked hard for this over a long time. I already started training camp and am in great shape. I just want to bring that belt home to Quebec where it belongs”.