Earlier this afternoon Tyson Fury (25-0, 18KOs) announced his official return to the ring under the guidance of Frank Warren.
The self proclaimed ‘Gypsy King’ has reunited with promoter Frank Warren and will make his long awaited return to the ring on June 9 in Manchester.
“The Heavyweight division should now be put on notice because the lineal Champion will be back on June 9th and will be looking to pick back up where he left off,” said Warren.
“I am thrilled that Tyson has entrusted us with the responsibility of recharging his career and to steer him back to where he once emphatically belonged.
“Were it not for his exploits in Dusseldorf on November 28th, 2015, the now thriving and fascinating Heavyweight scene might have remained stagnant, but Tyson’s comprehensive schooling of the long-standing Champion Wladimir Klitschko opened all sorts of doors from which others have ultimately benefitted.
“Now Tyson is back, in fantastic shape and full of beans, ready to take the first step on the road back towards World domination once again.”
The 29-year-old did not mince his words as you would expect from the flamboyant former unified champion.
“The King has returned,” said Fury. “I’m back to reclaim what is rightfully mine. This is going to be an interesting journey. There’s a lot of fascinating challenges out there for me and I’m looking forward to getting started. I can’t wait to get in the ring and put on a display for all of my fans.
“I’m the fittest that I’ve ever been. My timing and my reflexes are better than they’ve ever been. I’m coming into the prime of my career and I’m more confident than I’ve ever been. All of my focus is on my return at the Manchester Arena on June 9th.
“All of the current Heavyweight Champions out there are very vulnerable and very beatable.”
As a boxing fan I am happy to see Fury back as he will add something different to a rejuvenated heavyweight division. It’s been over two years since he defeated Klitschko in Düsseldorf which opened up the division to be what it is today.
After all the hand shakes and pats on the backs during the official announcement today the obvious question was then asked about the current unified champion Anthony Joshua.
Fury answered in his normal colourful manor, “It’s going to be an easy fight, no contest.”
Fury continued, “He is looking for one punch all night. Anybody who can move a little bit, and throw feints, he struggles with. He can’t land.
“I’ve got a tip for him – get a handful of rice and throw it at me, if he wants to land anything. I’d outbox him for a few rounds then knock him out. He’s not the hardest man in the world to hit. He’s smaller than I am, and I don’t believe he holds the best shot.
Everything is still there – 29 years old, coming into the prime of my life, I’m stronger and faster, holding more muscle mass than ever. I’m more confident looking at the competition.”
Rumour has it that his return fight could be against Shannon Briggs (60-6-1, 53KOs) who has been trolling Fury for the best part of a year.
The 46-year-old from Brooklyn, New York wouldn’t be a bad choice for Fury’s first fight back if you take his amusing ability to sell a fight into consideration. Forget batman costumes their press conference would be more like Jekyll and Hyde.
Whoever Frank Warren matches Fury up with next, I would expect at least three fights before he is ready for AJ. One fight in particular that I would love to see is Fury-Haye. That is of course if he can get past Tony Bellew next month. The winner of that would be in a position to challenge for world honours.
One thing is for sure, it will be entertaining and sometimes cringeworthy when watching Fury’s rise back trough the ranks.